Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Au revoir à Cathi!

I almost just started writing this in French. Whoops!

So this weekend we said goodbye to Cathi! It was sad, but it was a fun weekend in general and I'll be seeing her again in a little over a month, so it's not too bad. Karen decided to come into town at the last minute so she could see my friends one more time, so that was nice! I went out several times with my friends, on Sunday the family I tutor for had me come out to their house in the country to spend the afternoon with them, and on Monday (we had the day off) another tutoring student of mine had me come to her house to have coffee with her family. As I've said before, people in this region are very friendly!

The big event of the weekend was a goodbye party for Cathi on Sunday night. A bunch of us went to her apartment to hang out and to meet her boyfriend and say goodbye. The highlight of the evening was when we hassled Cathi to sing for us (because we knew she sang in a choir and had never heard her sing) and when she agreed and started singing, everyone's mouths dropped open. (Seriously, I looked around and everyone's had la bouche bée - mouth hanging open). This tiny little person opened her mouth and had an enormous, unbelievable operatic voice. It was incredible! I would be hard-pressed to name someone else I've heard with a voice as good as Cathi's was!

After Cathi amazed us all, Juan, one of our Argentinian friends, got out his guitar and played and we sang and had a pretty fun and easy-going evening.


Singing/listening to Juan. Pictures were taken with my phone so they're not so great!


Marina watching and being impressed by Juan and Cathi singing.


Cathi and Juan jamming + Cathi's boyfriend, Oliver.

This week has started out pretty well; we had Monday off for Easter, so I only have three days of work and right after class on Thursday I'm going up to Paris to see my cousins, aunt and uncle, and grandmother. I have my big suitcase all packed (and weighed - 47.5 lbs) which is a bit surreal - it makes leaving seem much more real! I leave Perigueux this month...very strange.

I should have an interesting blog post or so after this weekend with going to Paris. There's also talk of going kayaking/canoeing if it's nice on Sunday. I'm hoping that we have some nice warm weather!

2 comments:

  1. hi megan! i'm a first-year student in the honors education program at my college. i'm double-majoring in history and french, and i should have teacher licensure in both before i graduate. my end goal is to teach in france or in a french-speaking country. is this the program you are doing?
    http://highereducation.frenchculture.org/teach-in-france is it possible to teach at these schools once your term finishes? what have you heard about opportunities for american teachers in france or other french-speaking countries? i just read your whole blog from start to finish. which is isn't good, considering that i have a paper and presentation for tomorrow :x anyway, looking forward to your response :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! If you're interested, shoot me an e-mail at burke.megan.k@gmail.com. It's probably easier to correspond about all this via e-mail rather than blog comments.

    I'm glad you've liked the blog though, and it's great that you're interested in moving to France! (Yes, that link is the program that I'm doing.)

    ReplyDelete