Sunday, January 20, 2013

More snow

The people of Perigueux keep telling us that it doesn't snow much here, but it snowed again last night and it might snow again this week. Yuck. The snow today was much like it was last week - wet and slushy and icky!

I will admit that it was pretty on some of the old houses and the hills around Perigueux. But in general, I'm no fan of snow, so I wasn't too pleased with it. Plus we walked to a teacher's house about twenty minutes away and the French don't shovel their sidewalks or anything (not just me being stereotypical - confirmed to me by several French people), so it was slippery and snowy. Nevertheless, I took a few pictures with my phone to show you what it looks like. I would have taken more but I only had my iPhone, and I didn't want to trek around taking pictures of it. Next time it snows I'll go out with my camera.


Snowy, snowy, snowy. Not the prettiest view of the river - but oh well, this is where I happened to have a view of it.


A couple views of the city and the main road of Perigueux.


It's a little hard to tell, but the river was so swollen. Benches that you can normally sit on were underwater and the water came right up to the path along the river (normally there are a few yards between the bath and the river). I took this to show that the river came right up to the bottom of this pedestrian bridge; usually there is at least a four foot drop!

As I said earlier, we went to have lunch at an English teacher's house this afternoon. It was really nice! We had a real French meal - meaning there was a drink and snacks before, then an appetizer, an entree, a dessert (and wine with all of that), cider to follow, and finally coffee. I am not so sure that I'm going to eat this evening. We are spent about three hours eating, soooo I'm still pretty full. But it was very nice - we had a nice time and it was good (as it always is) to speak French with real French people. You always learn something. For instance, in French you can't literally translate the sentence "I'm full." You have to say, "J'en peux plus," which is essentially "I've had enough," because if you say, "Je suis plein" (the literal translation of "I'm full") you're saying, "I'm drunk." Oops.

This evening I'm going to chat with a few friends and make sure I'm ready for classes this week. We're going to play a version of Jeopardy with questions about the U.S. Hopefully that will be entertaining enough for an entire hour of class! We shall see...

No comments:

Post a Comment