Wednesday, March 27, 2013

A few random things

It's sunny today in Périgueux! Hooray!

My classes this week have been chiant (translation: a pain). Marina said her students have been annoying as well and thinks part of it is the weather; nobody wants to work when it's sunny and fairly warm outside. I think she's right. Only four weeks (plus tomorrow) until I'm done with teaching though!

Just a couple snapshots from this week. I don't have anything too interesting going on this week, though this weekend we'll be celebrating with Cathi because she's leaving on Monday! The German assistants finish a month before the rest of us (their contracts work differently because most of them are still in grad school) so she'll be officially finished on Friday. We're going to have an apéro (best way to translate that one is as a pre-dinner party, but apéros and goûters - "tasting" - are things that can't really be translated into English because they're cultural and therefore don't exist in American English) on Sunday and wish her a happy send-off. We're all sad to see her go!

On Sunday we went to a barbecue with friends and ate Argentinian-style food, which was fun. Our friends had the barbecue at a friend's house a little outside of Périgueux, and this friend had an enormous dog (that must have weighed 160+ pounds).


You actually can't see quite how big he is in this picture.

He was calm and quiet and didn't even try to eat the meat. But he was really clingy to anyone who petted him and also slobbered a lot (I learned the word for slobber - la bave). So after a couple pets I avoided his big slobbery head, but he was a nice dog.

Unlike the East Coast of the U.S., it's spring in Périgueux. It's been pretty warm lately, the trees are starting to grow leaves again, and flowers are coming up. I think the city is going to be really pretty in April (we've been told that it is) so I'm looking forward to seeing both the city and the region with lots of flowers!


Flowers outside of Bertran de Born, the high school.

I'm going to take advantage of the weather and go for a run with Eve this afternoon, and this evening I'm having dinner with Bridget, one of the British assistants. Marina's cousin comes into town today and is staying through the weekend, so we'll try to go out and do something this weekend or at least go out for dinner in Périgueux. And next week I need to start packing up my big suitcase to take to Paris next week since I'm going to see my family and my grandmother is taking my big suitcase home to the U.S. for me!

Also:


Why, France? Why are you trying to bring back the Furby?

A toute à l'heure!

No comments:

Post a Comment