Saturday, September 29, 2012

I'm here! But my internet connection isn't.

Just a quick post to say yes, I am alive. I'm in PĂ©rigueux.

Good things

  • The town is gorgeous, old, Roman ruin-y, Medieval, super-French
  • Everyone is incredibly friendly, both the people in the town and the people at the school (Bertran de Born) where I'll be working
  • I've met a few other assistants who are also working at Bertran de Born who are very friendly
Bad things
  • I don't have an internet connection in my room at the school (no WiFi, no cable hook-up) - which is why I am currently looking for an apartment
  • And the bathroom is icky. So no WiFi plus no kitchen (and the cafeteria at the school is closed from Friday afternoon to Monday afternoon) plus gross bathroom totally cancels out the benefits of "free housing"
  • It's really hard to get to know people when you have to speak French all the time!
I'm writing this from a bar that has WiFi. The French don't mind if you buy a drink and then sit around and mooch off their WiFi for several hours (which is what I've been doing this afternoon with the two other girls who will be working at Bertran de Born). I'm researching apartment options with one of the girls, Marina. (She's from Spain and way better at French than I am. She has studied abroad a few times already - and for much longer periods of time than I have.) I think if I can find an apartment - and apartments are much cheaper here than you'd think - I will feel much more comfortable, cause it's been quite a rough adjustment!

I have lots more to tell but right now I don't have enough battery on my laptop. I promise a real update and pictures as soon as I'm able!

No comments:

Post a Comment