Tuesday, July 12, 2011

I could see Harry Potter before you...

        ...but I probably won't. The movie comes out here tonight at midnight but it's eleven euro for a ticket - to see the movie in 3-D. Um, no thank you. I hate 3-D movies, they make my brain hurt. Any of the showings not in 3-D are in French. That's another no-no. Alas, I will just have to wait until I get back to the States. But at least I get to drag out the Harry Potter era (aka the past 13 years of my life) a few weeks longer.
        I am so close to being done with my work, which is such a relief. I just have to do a presentation on a paper I wrote tomorrow in my culture class and crack out one last short paper for my history class. We had our last history class this morning. This is an extremely sad thing. Professor Douzou was easily one of the best teachers I have ever had. We bought delicious French pastries and had a little party during class and then took pictures with him at the end of the day. I told him I'm going to e-mail him over the course of next year as I write my thesis. He said, "Brilliant!" which is one of his favorite English phrases. I wish I could shrink him and stick him in my pocket and then take him out whenever I'm feeling down. Really. That's how great he is: I'm getting all stereotypically girly and talking about carrying him around. For those of you who have had Gallagher at UVA, Douzou is like a French version of him, only less sarcastic.
        It may be my last week in Lyon, but I don't really feel like I'm doing much of anything. It's hard when they pile the work on and we get stuck in our rooms with our abysmally slow internet trying to doing work. I'm going to try and get out some in the next few days, and Thursday is Bastille Day, so we'll be out and about then. We're all reminiscing about how we missed Fourth of July, so maybe Bastille Day will help a little - or it will just make us grumpier since it's French and not American.
        I'll end with a few random thoughts and observations about France since I don't have any interesting stories to recount:
1. I really miss CVS. The all-purpose drugstore/pharmacy does not exist here. And if you go to the pharmacy you have to describe your symptoms to the pharmacist and hope for the best. Luckily I've avoided that this trip...
2. People actually fight with police when they get pulled over here. And get away with it.
3. You can get sick of cheese. I'm not quite to that point yet, but I'm almost there. I am not, however, sick of quiche.
4. There is probably an underground source of Orangina that graces this country. There's just no way you could make that much of that drink otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment